Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! USB flash drive suddenly became write-protected

Default Help! USB flash drive suddenly became write-protected

I have a 64GB USB flash drive that suddenly went write-protected browse solely. it's no small very little switch to unprotected it, however seeing as there extremely wasn't something essential to be lost, i made a decision that an easy reformat would fix it up. sadly, W7 cannot format it as a result of it's write-protected. The error message says to undo the write protection before data format getting down to appear as if AN previous Catch-22 situation. I bought it on eBay from different country and cannot determine the manufacturer, thus there's no facilitate there.
    Name:  USB flash.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  12.4 KB

I eroded the net to seek out what i used to be certain would be an easy resolution. I've tried just about each suggestion and software tool that varied different website searches have proffered. My drive continues to be unusable and to my surprise, it seems that there square measure quite an ton people out there obtaining more and more annoyed with identical downside. wanting smashing the drive with a hammer, i do not see however else to finish this perplexity.

Frankly, you are my pis taller. Unless some genius out there encompasses a resolution that really works, i am going to undoubtedly resort to employing a hammer. If it involves that, I bet i'll even smash it with relish. that is however frustrating this on the face of it straightforward downside has become on behalf of me.

Anyhow, thanks before for any assist you will hook ME up with.

It's really comforting to understand once the flash chips finally wear out that you just do not lose your knowledge, right?You just cannot amendment it any further, that's all.
    So you actually got your monies price to wear out the chip write cycles. It's one thing i believe individuals can hear additional of because the drives all begin to age. you're one amongst the primary i assume,

While there square measure several things that would be touching your USB flash drive, being the foremost serious a hardware downside, Id advocate downloading Ubuntu UNIX system Live CD, boot your PC while not putting in it, then running compound partition utility to verify what may be occurring. generally you only have to be compelled to repartition the USB flash drive, however be forewarned that you simply can loose all of your knowledge on the drive.

Another factor to contemplate is irritating malware that generally takes your knowledge ransom. Erasing the partition data on the USB flash drive employing a UNIX system distro like Ubuntu Live CD may get obviate it, however you must check it afterwords together with your Anti-virus and Anti-malware computer code.

On "start" write reg-edit on the search programs and files and hit "enter".
    This will open the written record editor.
    Click and open this path:
    KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ Current management Set\Control \Storage Device Policies
    Ob storage devices, USB flash right click and choose write shield and choose modify and alter to worth zero.

Another potential solution:
    How to take away a write protection from your USB memory Stick if there's no Write protection ON or OFF button on stick then
    1. closure your PC or laptop computer
    2. Insert USB Memory Stick into your laptop computer or PC
    3. activate laptop computer then now begin pressing (F8) key then Advanced Boot choices screen can come back up
    4. choose Safe Mode with prompt
    5. once loading files if your USB Memory Stick drive letter is (G) as an example then write as
    6. C:\windows\system32>G: and press enter
    7. G:\>format G: and press enter
    8. If raise you (Y/N) then press (Y) and press enter
    9. currently a full format can begin that take away write protection from USB Memory Stick.
    Note:
    Before removing USB from your PC, continually take away it safely by going into to my pc then right click on USB and click on eject.

Also with DOS you'll be able to attempt this:
    Try this, in Windows XP head to begin -> All Programs -& gt prompt. this may open up a DOS window. currently kind the name of your flash drive followed by a colon, e.g, mine was drive letter K thus I kind K:

Now to list the directory, type DIR
    This will show your directory. At now I left the DOS window open and went into Windows and clicked on the drive in somebody. The write shield error still came up, however once clicking a handful of times I may see and open the files on the drive.

Anyway, once you are in DOS you must be able to copy any files you wish to a different drive victimization the DOS 'copy' or 'x copy' commands, and format the drive from DOS conjointly. e.g, to repeat all files and directories except empty directories from drive C to drive A, enter

x copy c: a: /s

There is an easy resolution for this within the case of windows.
    Just do a "regedit" for device Policies key. . Get
    into the written record - Press begin -& gt;Run, enter regedit, press OK
    Click on My PC. Then press File Export, offer some file
    name to backup the written record. simply just in case you ever have to be compelled to rollback.
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/Current management Set/Control/Storage Device Policies .
    In the right pane choose "write protect" . RESET the worth to '0' Repeat
    the same for ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 just in case they exist. Now plug
    in your USB drives and it ought to work. Else simply bring up the machine and take a look at.

If so you have got reached the utmost read/write cycles there's no facilitate. Smash it with a hammer if it provides you pleasure.

However, if the read-only attribute somehow got set, any OS ought to be able to undo it. In Windows somebody, right click on the drive, choose "properties", choose the "security" tab. offer yourself "full control". e.g. if you are logged in as "administrator" offer "administrator" full management. Or else, at a prompt do "attrib -R /s". you must currently be able to format it.

I would right click on the device and click on on properties. See what settings square measure set.

I am just like the thumb drive king as I simply obsessionally obtain them and also the reason is I feel that i want copies of copies as a result of they're very easy to drop or misplace. I actually have 3 backups reception and a handful in another safe location.

I can't place a worth on what quantity time I spent writing articles thus having backups is vital to ME. there's no reason why you must trust just one thumb drive. i feel you must have a decent backup set up as a result of knowledge are often invaluable. Id conjointly consider the cloud and create your backups some other person responsibility as a result of the cloud cannot be lost or purloined in theory.

I would advocate everybody research "bitrot" on Wikipedia because it relates to media.

There square measure lots of things which will fail in producing. i do know a person UN agency had somebody turn out boards for him that he designed. some of them come back to him not operating that he does not feel it's worthwhile. Was the merchandise created by humans or machines?

I conjointly recognize a bloke UN agency takes his thumb drives apart, pots the thumb drive with liquid glue then reseals them to form them water proof. I've conjointly had thumb drives bear the washer and appliance double and survive. I've talked to folks that have born theirs within the pool and that they have worked.

Get a program which will take a look at the drive. verify that it's 64g - my buck says it's not !
    same as Coyote State chips for cameras etc. four 1000000 - relabeled as 32g - within header is tweaked to appear as 32g - however if you place in additional that its base capability it locks you out similar to this or no access the least bit, not even format capable.